POST-PRODUCTION PREPARATION & VOICE – OVER

Before receiving a full sound lock clip I started working on the audio clips just to tidy them up. The first step was to listen through all the recorded audio and to label all the clips so it makes my job easier later in the post-production process.
UntitledI also frequently asked for separate clips that were already finished so I can see what needs to be done to that audio clip before hand – this helped with my preparation for the post production process ( I synced 2 to 3 interview sequences and played them to my friends and tutor to receive instant feedback LO6).

In the mean time I also spoke with the Director asking about other documentary productions that she likes the sound of (By suggestion from Lee Gretton who uses the same technique when working on productions for the industry). This way I can have a clear idea of what the director wants from me and I can also use her examples as reference when editing and mixing. We also spoke about the music selection for the feature and decided to go with an overall Epic/Heroic/Magical Feel. I then searched for such musical compositions online and shared my findings with the Director – once we agreed on the tracks we gave them to the editor of the Documentary so that she could edit the montage sequences to the rhythm of the music. All of the tracks are licensed by the Creative Commons (MUSIC LICENCES) and are absolutely free to use as long as they receive a credit at the end of the production. LO1 + LO2 + LO3

Initial Stages Of Session
Initial Stages Of Session

Furthermore I suggested we find a narrator for the documentary as there were a lot of sequences that required voice overs and quite a bit of interview footage that needed someone to ask questions. The voice over was provided by Daniel Berry who is another level 3 Audio Production student I had worked with in other film productions. He has a very deep Narrator type voice and is also a Radio presenter with quite a bit of experience in the field. The Director agreed with my choice and gave me another reference point for the narration.